browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Tagged With: progress

Raffle Ready

This entry is part 5 of 5 in the series Double Dragon

Once the finish was sufficiently cured, I spent an afternoon sanding and buffing it out. This part I generally dread as I’m always anxious about sanding through the finish. No matter how slowly I go, when you’re wet sanding, the finish usually looks fine until after you remove the sandpaper and dry it off. Only … Continue reading »

Categories: Guitar Building, Luthiery, Woodworking | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Custom Dragon Hardware

This entry is part 4 of 5 in the series Double Dragon

Back when I first acquired the CNC, I also purchased some sheets of thin plywood, vinyl, and aluminum of varying thickness. My plan was to experiment with cutting these materials immediately after assembly to learn just what it could — and couldn’t — do. I instead wound up diving headlong into cutting wood and building … Continue reading »

Categories: Guitar Building, Luthiery | Tags: , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Dragon’s breath

This entry is part 3 of 5 in the series Double Dragon

Once the guitar was out of the clamps with the neck permanently secured, it was time for finishing it up. The neck joint was flushed with scrapers and sandpaper, and the entire guitar was given a good sanding down to 220. I’d already applied some finish to the inside of the sound hole and so … Continue reading »

Categories: Guitar Building, Luthiery, Woodworking | Tags: , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Mahogany and Padauk Neck

This entry is part 2 of 4 in the series Atomic Age Surfcaster

Before routing the neck pocket in the body, we need a neck. This guitar again features a Gibson-style angled headstock made with a scarf joint. The bulk of this neck will be African Mahogany like the body. For this guitar I decided to also laminate a “racing stripe” down the center of the neck. A … Continue reading »

Categories: Guitar Building, Luthiery | Tags: , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Atomic Age Surfcaster

This entry is part 1 of 4 in the series Atomic Age Surfcaster

With the charity guitar (the “Wishcaster”) complete, it’s time to start the next build. Though I still haven’t completed the acoustic, I really want to build another Surfcaster – this time for me. A few weeks ago I acquired three burl Maple bookmatched caps for the next few guitars. Perhaps it’s the fact that during … Continue reading »

Categories: Guitar Building, Luthiery | Tags: , , , , , , | Leave a comment

The Neck

This entry is part 2 of 6 in the series Building an Acoustic Guitar

My lovely wife spent her weekend watching the kids and provided me with nearly two full days of shop time. In the intervening days I’d decided I wanted to build one of the guitars from cherry. I have a rather large stockpile and had read somewhere that Martin made/makes a “sustainable” series out of cherry, … Continue reading »

Categories: Guitar Building | Tags: , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Constructing the Frame and Panels

This entry is part 2 of 7 in the series Puppet Theater

Birdseye Maple on Cherry The design for the top panel calls for birdseye maple. It seemed a shame to use my only piece of birdseye maple up on just one project. I decided to resaw the board. A few passes through my old Grizzly G1066 sander later and I had a beautiful 3/32″ sheet of … Continue reading »

Categories: Woodworking | Tags: , , , , , | Leave a comment

Dead Flat

This entry is part 3 of 8 in the series Boy's Cherry and Walnut Dresser

I love my “new” drum sander. I purchased the used machine for the purpose of sanding shop-cut veneers and inlay woods. However, with a 23-1/2″ capacity, it is capable of so much more. I first cut my teeth with this thing on the side panels. Now it was time to glue up the top — … Continue reading »

Categories: Woodworking | Tags: , , , , , | Leave a comment

Face Frame Installed

This entry is part 3 of 8 in the series Boy's Cherry and Walnut Dresser

OK, so I “cheated.” I typically assemble face frames with pocket screws. It’s simple, fast and strong enough. Since this face frame is composed of 1″ x 3/4″ members, pocket screws seemed a bit weak to me — I’d only be able to use a single screw in each member, which would allow it to … Continue reading »

Categories: Woodworking | Tags: , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Gluing up the Carcass

This entry is part 4 of 8 in the series Boy's Cherry and Walnut Dresser

The Day Begins I started the day by marking out and cutting the slots for the biscuits into the inside faces of the sides and back. Following this, I decided to “rehearse” the glue up of the main carcass — the sides, back and bottom front apron. After yesterday’s “flip” I have to admit to … Continue reading »

Categories: Woodworking | Tags: , , , , , , , | Leave a comment